It’s Fall! Which means chilly weather, cozy clothes, and lots and lots of soup! I love creating new family traditions for my own little family, and one that we started for the fall and winter a couple of years ago is Soup Sunday. It’s so fun to find yummy soup recipes and just rotate through them throughout the colder months. Our typical favorites are chili and chicken tortilla soup…that is, until I found this amazing recipe.
I LOVE Olive Garden. We probably only go one or two times each year, but I’m just a huge fan of getting a lot of food for a good price (I know I’m not the only one out there)! Their lunch deal, unlimited soup and salad with breadsticks, makes going during lunchtime worth it. The only soup I’ve tried there is their Chicken & Gnocchi soup. I had never had gnocchi before this, but love how it’s like a combination of a potato and noodle.
When I came across this recipe, I knew I had to try to recreate it. But to be honest, I thought I would be highly critical and compare it to Olive Garden’s recipe. But guess what? I ended up liking my version better than Olive Garden’s! I was so shocked! Unlike Olive Garden’s recipe, this one doesn’t only use the icky leftover dark meat chicken, and it also gives you more than like three bites of gnocchi in a bowl!
I’ve already made this recipe twice in two weeks, if that gives you any indication of how delicious it is. It’s so easy, either in the crockpot or on the stove. My personal favorite crockpot is this guy (click on the image for details):
I love how easy it is to use, and that I can turn it on early in the day, and when it’s done cooking, it’ll switch to the “keep warm” setting!
Your family and friends will absolutely love this recipe, so go ahead and add it to your favorites! Enjoy!
Adapted from: Pinch of Yum
- 1 pound of chicken
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 stalks of celery, diced
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning (or a combo of thyme & oregano if you don’t have it)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp of cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tbsp water
- 2 12 oz. cans of evaporated milk
- 2 1lb. packages of mini potato gnocchi
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups of fresh baby spinach (or more!)
- Place the chicken, onion, celery, carrots, seasonings, and broth in a crockpot. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Once done cooking, shred the chicken in the crockpot.
- Add the evaporated milk, cornstarch mixture, and gnocchi. Stir and cover.
- Add olive oil and garlic to a pan, and saute for one minute. Add the spinach, and stir until wilted. Remove from heat.
- Add the spinach to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Add any additional liquid if needed (I added about two cups of water). Add more salt and pepper if needed.
*Note: I have also made this recipe on the stovetop (when I decided I wanted it for dinner and it was already 4:30PM haha). In that instance, I just sautéed the vegetables with the seasonings in a pot with olive oil until the onion became translucent. I then added the shredded, cooked chicken and chicken broth. After it cooked for about ten minutes, I added the evaporated milk, cornstarch mixture, and gnocchi. I cooked the spinach on the pan like above, and added it to the pot. I then made sure the gnocchi was soft, and added some water because found it also needed more liquid. I thought both versions, stovetop and crockpot, were both amazing!
*For leftovers: I found the soup absorbed a lot of the liquid overnight, so I added a little bit of water before heating it up for leftovers.