I’m always looking for new crockpot recipes, mostly because it’s so nice to be able to throw something in a pot and just forget about it. Especially as a mom, I so appreciate not having to always stand in the kitchen for extended amounts of time, while my children are destroying everything in the room next to me!
This crockpot salsa chicken recipe is one of the very first things I ever cooked by myself! That’s right, it is THAT easy! College-aged Kaylee totally owned this recipe! In fact, it was the first recipe I shared with my sister when she started cooking for herself as well. You cannot mess this one up, guys! It is soo easy!
Besides being extremely easy, it is also very versatile. We usually put the chicken mixture into corn tacos and add our favorite toppings (red onion, cilantro, avocado, lettuce, and lime)! But I’ve also made burritos, put it on a salad, nachos, or served with rice. You can do so many different things with this chicken!
Here’s how to make your easy crockpot salsa chicken!
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 oz) can corn, drained
- 1/2 package taco seasoning (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Put beans, corn, taco seasoning, and water in crock pot and mix together. Place chicken breasts on top, and spread salsa on chicken. Cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Shred chicken and serve however you want (see examples above).
*Add your favorite toppings (cheese, onion, sour cream, avocado, lettuce, tomato, etc).
You can also easily make this into a freezer meal to make for later, or to bring to someone who needs a dinner! Here’s how:
- Label a gallon-sized resealable freezer bag with the name of the recipe and cooking instructions.
- Dump the black beans, corn, salsa, taco seasoning, and water in the bag and mix until all of the ingredients are combined. Finally, add the chicken, and then close the bag. Place in the freezer until ready to use.
- When ready to cook, remove the bag from freezer and let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Spray your slow cooker with cooking spray and dump the ingredients from the bag into the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
- Shred chicken and serve however you want (in tacos, burritos, nachos, salads, etc).